Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Might As Well Tri!

Ok I will never be like Lisa and keep up with this damn blog on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. I was supposed to publish some resolutions, about I don't know 50 some odd days ago but yeah it never happened. And that's not really going to happen now except for one resolution: To train for and complete a triathlon.

See, I was training last year and was 4 hours away from completing my first Olympic triathlon when my dear friend May ( www.mayraiter.blogspot.com ) had a bad car accident on her way down to watch my friends and I compete. Luckily, we had enough time to get out of the campground before it closed so that we could get to the hospital to get to her side. We were reminiscing recently about that day, as horrible as it was seeing our friend with a head injury in a coma and wanting to erase the image of her tiny body struggling to survive, it revealed how each person in my urban family reacts to extreme situations. I learned that I am innately an extremely maternal person who is good when it is hard, and that I extremely admire those who know that they can't handle the burden and set their limits.

Another thing about that day, that will actually put a smile on my face, is that because we still had the RV from the Wildflower trip and a lot of food we made a makeshift campground with about 10 friends in the long term parking lot with a habachi, camping chairs, hot dogs, hamburgers, card games, beer (lots of beer), card games, and the beginnings of ground control determining who would take care of what tasks, like I said we are her family, and it solidified the incredible bond that we all share.

She is doing great now, she still has limitations as far as her right side, but has returned to work and her life.

So, I didn't do any triathlons last year. However, I did do 2 half marathons and my first marathon. So, I'm getting ready for tri season, because of last year I didn't want to wait for Sunday to do the Olympic triathlon so instead I signed up for the ........ Half Ironman Triathlon. I'm frickin insane and really really nervous about the race, especially since i lack some very important items, a bike and a wetsuit. But I have begun training, but I have a long way to go, especially with the way I've been partying these last few weeks.

My other goal is to do some sort of race every weekend. My first is this weekend with a Biathlon, a 2.5 mile run, 12 mile bike, 2.5 mile run. I'm the most uncomfortable with the bike so this will be a good entry into being on a bike for a while. Anyways, I am going to try to channel my inner Dietrick to keep things current.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Colleen, you are totally my hero. (And you can dance. God damn!)